Throughout the week, I read a lot of blog-posts, articles, and so forth, that has to do with things that interest me:
- data science
- data in general
- distributed computing
- SQL Server
- transactions (both db as well as non db)
- and other “stuff”
This blog-post is the “roundup” of the things that have been most interesting to me, for the week just ending.
- How We Built a Vectorized SQL Engine. This post by Cockroach Labs discusses how they re-wrote their SQL execution engine to get better performance for analytical type of workloads, (read: queries).
SQL Server 2019
- Introducing the SQL Server 2019 video learning series. This post by Microsoft’s Bob Ward points to resources for learning more about SQL Server 2019.
- Unify your data lakes with HDFS tiering in SQL Server Big Data Clusters. What is HDFS tiering in SQL Server Big Data Cluster? Well, this post by Nellie Gustafsson explains what it is and how to do it. It also has a link to a video about it. Great stuff!
- SQL Server 2019 & Java: Parameters. My, my: haven’t I been a “busy bee”. Earlier today I published this post about how to handle parameters between SQL Server 2019 and your Java code.
- Creating a Real-Time Flight-info Data Pipeline with StreamSets, Kafka, ElasticSearch and Kibana. The title says it all. This is an awesome post about creating data pipelines. It is a must-read!
That’s all for this week. I hope you enjoy what I did put together. If you have ideas for what to cover, please comment on this post or ping me.